Robert Jacob Davis
Robert Jacob Davis was born in upstate New York and moved to Austin, Texas , in his childhood. He was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1989 and subsequently admitted to the U.S. District Courts for Northern, Eastern and Western Districts in Texas , The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States . Mr. Davis received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1986 and a Juris Doctor degree from Baylor University Law School in 1989. While in law school, Mr. Davis was a member of Phi Delta Phi honorary legal fraternity. Mr. Davis served as an Assistant City Attorney, City of Dallas, Texas during 1989-1994. He is a member of the Dallas Bar Association and the State Bar of Texas.
Reported Cases: Shade v. City of Dallas , 819 S.W.2d 578; Board of Adjustment of the City of Dallas v. Patel, 882 S.W.2d 87; Dallas County Appraisal District, et. al. v. Funds Recovery, Inc., 887 S.W. 2d 465; Denton v. Morgan, 136 F. 3d 1038 (5th Cir. 1998); Brewer v. Collin County, 254 F. 3d 1081 (5th Cir. 2001); West v. City of Crandall, 139 S.W. 3d 784; City of Corinth v. Gladys, 916 S.W. 2d 618; Thompson v. City of Corsicana Housing Authority, 57 S.W. 3d 547; Horton v. Denny's , 128 S.W. 3d 256.
Mr. Davis practices primarily in the area of litigation and governmental defense. During his years with the Dallas City Attorney's Office and now in private practice, Mr. Davis has gained substantial litigation experience in both Federal and State Court. Mr. Davis' jury trial experience in Federal Court includes acting as lead counsel and co-counsel in excessive force cases, co-counsel in a First Amendment/ Whistle-blowers case, co-counsel in a false arrest/illegal search case, and co-counsel in a wrongful termination case. Mr. Davis' jury trial experience in State Court includes acting as lead counsel in nuisance/ flooding cases, police automobile accident cases, premise defect cases, major automobile accident cases, and a products liability case, as well as co-counsel in wrongful death cases, one of which as featured on the television show "Court T.V." Mr. Davis also prosecuted approximately 35 jury trials in the Dallas Municipal Courts where he started as a criminal prosecutor with the City of Dallas . Mr. Davis is a name Partner in the Law Firm of MATTHEWS, STEIN SHIELS, PEARCE, KNOTT, EDEN & DAVIS , L.L.P.
Areas Of Practice
- Governmental Defense
- General Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Defects
- Texas, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 1994
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1995
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- J.D. - 1989
- Honors: Member, Phi Delta Phi Honorary Legal Fraternity
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.A. - 1986
- Denton v. Morgan, 136 F. 3d 1038, 1998, 5th Circuit
- City of Corinth v. Gladys, 916 S.W. 2d 618, 1996, Texas - Ft. Worth
- Thompson v. City of Corsicana Housing Authority, 57 S.W. 3d 547, 2001, Texas - Waco
- Horton v. Denny's, 128 S.W. 3d 256, 2003, Texas - Tyler
- Brewer v. Collin County, 254 F. 3d 1081, 2001, 5th Circuit
- West V. City of Crandall, 139 S.W. 3d 784, 2004, Texas - Dallas
- Collin County, Texas
- City of Allen, Texas
- Denny's Inc.
- Buffet Partners, L.P.
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Dallas Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member